Sunday, 4 October 2015

Modern Irish Bee - October block


clip_image002clip_image004Happy October Ladies !

I am thrilled and so excited to be this months Queen Bee.  


I have taken this block from a free tutorial @ Hyacinth Quilt Designs
 
It's a super quick quilt block to make entitled “Garden Fence” and I too think it would be awesome in lots of colour combinations. However, I have chosen to stick with the colour theme seen here of: Greys & Yellow/Golds Autumnal but not too wintery!

I would like you lovely ladies to make two of these blocks please:
· The first with the grey tones in the centre square with the yellow/golds outside.
· The second block will be the opposite effect with yellow/golds in the centre and grey toned fabric outside. I have made one block following these exact measurements and it works out to be 12” square after sashing.
· I would like the yellow fabric in the block to be the same on the four corners and similarly with the grey fabric. This will give the blocks a sense of uniformity rather than simply tones of the colours.
· I will be using Kona white for my blocks so if you have that it would be fantastic as the white borders will be joined directly. If not, something as near as possible please.
clip_image006

Here are the cutting dimensions for the block:
· Center square: 4 ½ " x 4 ½ "
· Outer rectangles in opposite colour fabric: 4 - 2 ½ " x 3" and 4 - 2 ½ " x 5" (all same)
· White: 2 - 1 ½ " x 6 ½ "
2 - 1 ½ " x 4 ½”
4 - 1 ½ " x 2 ½”
· White sashing: 2- 1 ½” x 10 ½”
2- 1 ½” x 13”
 
To piece the block: (pics below)clip_image008
  • Sew the white 4 1/2" and 6 1/2" rectangles to opposite sides of the center square.
  • Sew the white 2 1/2" rectangles between 2 outer rectangles; add these to the center pieced square.
  • Once the main part of the block is completed, I would like if the 1.5” (unfinished) border could be added to the block please, by piecing the top and bottom followed by the side strips.
  • This should make the completed blocks 12” square.
I have absolutely loved seeing all of your choices so far this year and each block chosen has been so different. I was so mixed up trying to decide on my block as there was so much out there. I cannot wait to see what you all produce and I look forward to beautiful happy post from such a talented bunch. How nice to imagine everyone playing such a part in creating our quilts. Happy sewing ladies and if you’ve any questions on my block just contact me on the Facebook group or Instagram. Below is a few snaps as I made my first block to check measurements etc Sorry they are just fired in there but I hope it all makes sense

Best Wishes, Jacinta xx
clip_image020clip_image012
clip_image016clip_image018
clip_image010clip_image014




clip_image028
clip_image024
clip_image022
clip_image026clip_image030

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jacinta, looking forward to making this for you, one of my favourite blocks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh although Im not in the bee this year I have always wanted to make this quilt so yippy, nw I know where to find the pattern. looking forward to seeing the end product ladies

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.