Monday, 1 June 2015

Modern Irish Bee - June

Hello fellow Bee Members!
I’m Erin, and I’m excited to show you the block I chose for June. First off, I thought I’d let you know a little bit more about me, as I’ve only been in Modern Quilters Ireland for a year. I’m currently a stay at home mom to twin 2.5 year old boys. They keep me very busy as you can imagine, and I only get a limited time at the sewing machine. My family and I moved to Ireland from Seattle, Washington last April to Cork for his work. It’s been a bit of an adjustment living here, especially with the difference in fabric availability!
I love working with color, especially colors of the rainbow! I’ve made a Charming Chevrons quilt using Robert Kaufman’s Primary palette and black background, a Spin it Again quilt using ROYGBIV (Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Indigo, Violet) colors for the center pinwheel. When I found out I had June for my month, I went exploring on Pinterest for my block idea. I spent hours searching, and eliminated a ton of stuff because I thought it might be too complicated. I finally came across this block from Flickr user Ginny F.

I loved the different prints, the wonky star, everything about it! Perfect for using all the scraps! I found this tutorial for making the block:
http://flutterkat.com/2012/01/reverse-rainbow-starburst-block/

Since the tutorial is sized for a 17.5 inch block, I did a little math to make it 12.5 inch size. Please make two 12.5 inch blocks, and keep each of your blocks one color.

Here’s what you’ll need to make each block:
• One 2.5 inch square white fabric. I used Kona white for my example.
• Scraps of Kona white to make star points, 8 scraps/block.
• Thirty five 2.5 inch squares of prints or solids with one color theme. Please keep to the ROYGBIV color scheme if possible. I used 11 different fabrics, 3-5 squares were cut from each fabric.
Once you have your squares cut out, lay them out so you have a pleasing layout. You’ll need to put your white square in any space that isn’t the outside rows/columns of squares—this way you’ll be able to sew your points on all sides. Feel free to put it anywhere you’d like, as long as it’s not one of the outside blocks.
Next, you’ll be working with the four squares that are to the top, bottom left and right of your white square. I’m going to start with the solid red square on the top.
Next, you’ll take a white scrap and place it on your colored square. Feel free to make your points wonky or not! I’ve placed my seam ripper on what will be your sewing line. Make sure that when you flip the white fabric, it will cover the corner!
Sew 1/4 inch from the edge.
Trim off your colored fabric 1/4 inch from the seam line. Press white fabric open.
Trim your white so it’s even with your colored square. I found it’s easiest to do this from the back side.
This is what your piece will look like from the front or “public” side. Repeat the same process for the next corner, and then other three blocks that surround the white block. You’ll need two star points per these squares.

Layout your pieces to ensure correct placement when sewing rows together.

Sew your pieces together, alternating pressing directions per rows so it’s easier to nest seams.

Sew your rows together. I pressed my seams all in one direction here. It doesn’t matter which direction.

Your Finished Block!
I’m thinking for the finished quilt I’m going to use some thin white sashing between the blocks, then surround with a border. I can’t wait to see what you come up with!
Any questions, please send me an email .  I’m EksRN2002 on Instagram and Flickr . KnittingRN on Pinterest!

No comments:

Post a Comment