Wednesday, 1 April 2015

Modern Irish Bee 2015 - April Block

Hello fellow bees. I am delighted and excited to be a bee. I have been thinking about my block since January and I have had one in mind since then. And then changed my mind a dozen times. Anyhow I have decided on this block.
clip_image002
I saw one similar on Pinterest made with a background of low volume squares and really bright triangles which works amazingly. However I am a nosey bee and want to see all your pretty bright or not so bright fabrics.
clip_image004
I have teamed each square with a cream / off white triangle.
clip_image006
When all the blocks come together there are various patterns that can be formed. Squares as above or one directional lines as below.
clip_image008
Its exceptionally quick and easy to do and a great eater of scraps.

Each nine square block measures 9.5 by 9.5 unfinished. So 9 by 9 finished.

So I would like two blocks please, made with 'pretty' colours like purples, pinks, yellows, blues. Mostly patterned with a plain or two if you like. I would like the triangle to be cream or a soft white. But not a bright white.

And this is how it's made.

Two blocks need 18 squares measuring 3.5 by 3.5. Then 18 smaller cream squares measuring 2.5 by 2.5.

Chain piecing is the way to go here and it will be sewn up in no time.
clip_image010
Draw a diagonal line through all the cream squares before you start.
clip_image012
Place the cream square onto the coloured square and sew down the marked line. I sew a needle width below the line.
clip_image014
Take all the squares to the iron and press them open.
clip_image016
Then trim off the bottom two triangles underneath and square up each block as you go to 3.5.
clip_image018
clip_image020
Now all you need to do is arrange them in order and sew them together.

Then decide whether you love your little pile of triangles enough to make something with them or chuck them in the bin without a care.
clip_image022
-Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment