Sunday, 1 March 2015

Modern Irish Bee 2015- March Block

Welcome to March’s Block for Modern Irish Bee. This month Liz has chosen the

The Burst Block Quilt: An Easy Quilt Tutorial with Rob Appell of Man Sewing.

I was only looking at this on you tube last week too! I love these and Missouri Star Quilt Company’s video tutorials. Here’s Liz’s description and instructions for this month’s block – great choice Liz. Looking forward to this one!

-Ruth


Ok, so I have a really cool block for you to make and once you make one, you will have the templates to make as many as you like when you are finished. I made some changes of my own to this tutorial as I find Rob quite fast and also, I didn't have any interfacing, so I made my own templates out of a cereal box. You are more than welcome to follow Rob the whole way on this but I think my changes make things a lot more simple if you are using cardboard.

I cut out my 10 inch cardboard square and then made the marks as per the tutorial and drew my lines but then I cut out my templates as per my picture, just the templates no fabric yet. (use your rotary cutter for this) burst block

I put my biggest template on my white fabric and drew around it and then cut 2 white number 1 templates. My other change is, I was not using a layer cake just yardage or fat quarters, so I just sewed on a large piece of my colour fabric, enough to cover the sewline and next template but I didn't even measure this. I just used a large piece that I knew would cover it. I tend to do the same when paper piecing.

Then I set my seam and pressed it and then I got my next cardboard template piece and drew around that on my sewn colour fabric and then cut along the lines with my rotary cutter. Then I sewed on another large piece of white fabric set my seam and pressed and then drew around my next cardboard template piece and cut until I finished and so on until the block is complete.

My blocks ended up 8 3/4 x 8 3/4 so hopefully all of yours end up this size too. Any questions about either method just pop me a mail. Don't worry if your blocks are not exactly the same size as mine ok.

I would like 2 8 3/4 x 8 3/4 blocks. I would love my main fabric to be grey but you wouldn't end up with the same greys so white is the safer option. I would like solids or tone on tone for the colour fabrics please. Your 2 blocks can be the same fabrics or different coloured ones I don't mind once the white is where it is supposed to be.

I hope you enjoy this tutorial as much as I did! They came together fast when I made my changes to it. Robs method is probably more economical with your fabrics, as he uses the left over triangles from layer cakes but my changes just make this whole process easier. I didn't use triangles cut from a layer cake, I just used big pieces of stash fabric that I knew would cover the areas needed.

Enjoy,

Liz.

2 comments:

  1. I really like the look of this Liz but I think I might get carried away and not be able to stop at two blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just had a go and come up too short . Going to try again using your method of bigger pieces of fabric

    ReplyDelete